« Home | Flowers within flowers » | Lalbagh in full bloom » | A motley » | Dinner at my place - 7 pm sharp » | Shy damsel amongst bougenvalia fronds » | Spoilt for choice » | Tension amidst tension » | Close encounters and Live 8 » | Raising an empty toast » | ...and along came a spider... » 

Monday, August 29, 2005 

Better than the best

Have been reading some really fabulous blogs of late. In addition to feeling elated, I also feel, as folklore goes, the way Clapton felt when he heard Mark Knoffler for the first time - strangely depressed, subdued, bluesy, and what not. All of a sudden I don’t seem too eager to want to visit my blog and check out if people have left their thoughts behind. My previous posts feel mediocre and pedestrian in content. I seem unable to think up an original idea to convert into a post.

But the silver lining in all this murkiness is that the authors of those fabulous blogs seem to think alike too - that their work pales in comparison to others that they really look up to and idolize. Its not exactly a comfort that I can lean upon and carry on. But I realize that there are many grades of good writing, and similar levels of an appreciative public.

I recall now an analogy I have had at the back of my mind all these years. I have been a fairly good football player in school and in college. But they were a couple of players both in college and school who were leagues better than me. And the best of those players probably only went as far as playing in the Calcutta second division. Considering how much better the first division and the national level players are than the second division ones, its humbling to learn that I would surely not feature in a grouping of the most skillful one lakh players in our country. And finally when you realize that India is ranked around 130 odd in the world football rankings, its a very fair chance that every other European, South American, Middle or South East Asian I come across would probably dance me off my feet! Sigh.

i dont know why..mark knoffler's face reminds me of george bush.

do comments really matter to a blogger? just blog...

Thanks for visiting :). I don't think Knoffler resembles bush too much, but Chet Atkins does so a lot. Have a look here at the cover of an album they did together. Comments do help in their way I think, and so are pretty much welcome.

That was a nice post Sid. Blogging gets very addictive over time and comments really do matter to know whether your thoughts,and in our case pictures also, are connecting to the people who are visiting the blog. But I suggest you continue pouring out your stuff without bothering too much about it. I can safely say that your blog is one of the better ones around and I always look fwd to checking up on it. Do not let others drive your blog content or other blogs affect your thinking. It is important to take comments and opinions from others but not to lose one's originality.

Happy blogging and looking fwd to more combinations of literature and visuals from you :-)

Thanks Suyog. That was a really sweet and encouraging thought.

There are good blogs and there are good blogs.But all blogs are a great read.Thank God that blogs being a personal account make it so different from each other and therefore so interesting. I agree with Suyog. One must keep writing for oneself.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm The elderly camel
  • From India

My profile
Email me


My Flickr account
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Siddhartha_N. Make your own badge here.


I also write at: Desicritics
Creative Commons License

All images and text in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons License. Reproduction in any form (original or processed) without prior consent of the author is a violation of this copyright.

© 2005 - The Elderly Camel