« Home | Raising an empty toast » | ...and along came a spider... » | As shallow as a petri dish » | The wicked witch of the north! » | The GIANT peanut tree » | Baby you can't drive my car » | And registered your flat shall be » | I'm on a roll... » | And then there was one » | ...its going to be a bumpy ride!! » 

Sunday, July 03, 2005 

Close encounters and Live 8

This has been a weekend of extremely close sporting contests. Was constantly switching between the ladies final at Wimbledon and the Natwest final at Lords. Could not make up my mind at which one deserved a more prolonged viewing (the live Live-8 telecast was complicating a decision even further...but thank you VH1 for not making my life so straightforward). The men's final later today might be a treat too. Can't expect much from the F1 race at Mangy Cours.

The longest ladies final in tournament history was a fitting way to end this years competition. Either one of the two could have won it finally, but the amazing fact that Venus has reached the final five times in the past six years speaks of her consistency at this venue. You could sense her sheer joy and relief at the way she kept prancing about till bed time came around.

I don't think that for a long time have I sat on the edge of my seat for a cricket match like I did for yesterday's Natwest final. The way Jones and Collingwood were consolidating their innings after England were five down for very little brings back memories of that Natwest final a couple of years back when Kaif and Yuvraj were similarly repairing the damage on road to that memorable triumph. I don't think I can even imagine the nerves that Giles must have had when he played the final ball and scampered through for a brace. Strangely there was a bit of a hush for sometime in the ground and the commentary box after the last ball suspense. I would have imagined Nasser Hussain to have leapt out of his seat and do a impromptu jig. Botham is rarely stirred enough to emit more than his customary "Well". Am sure that the Aussies felt like a pelican whose beak has been priced open, and the catch fished out. There have still that yard to go before they can achieve the domination that Armstrong or Rossi have shown in their respective sports.

Sir Bob Geldof's endeavor in trying to eradicate poverty, hunger and death is highly noble. It’s gratifying that so many top musicians have pledged their solidarity and support to this cause. I just hope that people around the globe remember the real motive behind the concerts after the sounds of the absolutely top quality music have died down. I don't think we will get to see Paul McCartney, REM, Pink Floyd, U2, Cold Play, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Robbie Williams and The Who sharing the stage any time soon again. Hyde park crowd - thank your stars! If you would like to be a part this "Long walk to Justice", you could sign up at http://www.live8live.com/list/. May peace and prosperity descend upon us all!

About me

  • I'm The elderly camel
  • From India

My profile
Email me


My Flickr account
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Siddhartha_N. Make your own badge here.


I also write at: Desicritics
Creative Commons License

All images and text in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons License. Reproduction in any form (original or processed) without prior consent of the author is a violation of this copyright.

© 2005 - The Elderly Camel